“From the sea there is a gentle incline running six or seven miles up a pleasant hill. On all sides there are myrtles, and cedars, orange trees and laurel, and a thousand other fragrant plants. Thyme and marjoram, roses, lilies and saffron scatter such sweetness over the aromatic ground that every breeze off the land carries the fragrance to travellers at sea. The entire hillside is bathed by an abundant rill flowing from a limpid spring. Well might one say that so happy a spot belongs to lovely Venus”. Ariosto L., Orlando Furioso, Canto 18
In Orlando Furioso, one of the greatest epic poems of the Italian Renaissance, Ludovico Ariosto (1474-1533) captures the wealth of Cyprus trees and fragrant plants. The island’s geography, climate and geology favour the growth of hundreds of herbs, while the temperate climate facilitates the natural drying process.
Castellanos Herbs contributes to the rediscovery of the beauty and richness of the island’s natural heritage and its long tradition of aromatic herbs production. Smell and taste any of our products and see for yourself whether Cyprus is justifiably the birthplace of Aphrodite (Venus), the goddess of beauty and love. Do you feel the beauty of nature and the love we have added?
We apply traditional farming practices to grow organic herbs and vegetables of the highest quality, before we dry and pack our herbs using ecological processes. What this means for you is:
– a top-quality end product with strong, authentic aroma and taste, and nutritionally denser than conventional food
– the antioxidant and medicinal value of our products is maximised
– improved health, since not only your body is not supercharged with harmful substances, but it gets equipped to fight those because of the cleansing and antioxidant properties of our products
– sustainable wellbeing, since trusting our products and using them systematically and appropriately advances your lifestyle
– you contribute to the protection of the environment as well as the health of the farmers
During our long journey in organic farming, the wide range of herbs that we grow has given us competitive advantage. And you can find not only herbs you have perhaps never heard of, but also dozens of signature mixtures which we have created for different purposes. From culinary herbs to tisanes, speciality infusions and herbs for multiple uses, our large variety of aromatic herbs makes us unique.
Our products can be sold in retail and most of them in wholesale as well.
The leaves used in typical tea bags are actually the dust from broken tea leaves, which compromises the quality. Turning leaves and flowers into dust which is in turn constrained into small bags means that most of herbs’ essential oils and antioxidants are lost. Herbal leaves and flowers need to expand as they infuse in order to unleash their aroma and flavor, offering you a full-bodied brew.
Furthermore, low-grade leaves are usually processed and packaged by machines, and might live in a warehouse for a long time before they reach you. With organic farming and herbs that are hand-picked and carefully packed – perhaps only days before you use them – you know that you enjoy the finest whole-leaf herbs.
Our family stands behind everything we do. What you get every year is purely the loose leaves and flowers as nature confided them to us. We do not import anything, neither do we blend our herbs with products from elsewhere – even if they are organic. Our products come from a single region, the Castelli region in Mandria village, and their authenticity is not in any way compromised. (This is why some products might at times be out of stock – we promise a little bit of patience is worth it!)
Our goal is to contribute to society’s wellbeing, communicating the multiple reasons why nature’s treasures should be part of our everyday regimen. Our action is multi-dimensional, as reflected in:
– our products’ availability in retail and wholesale
– our participation in public festivals, expos and seminars
– our effort to disseminate information about the use of herbs
– our bio gifts that provide the opportunity to creatively use herbs at any event
– the regular update of our website that aims to improve your experience
– our goal to re-start and expand the educational tours we used to arrange
…and some more ideas that we hope to implement at the right time, if we have your support. The Castellanos way…all the way!
Our long experience in organic farming is mirrored has established the quality of our products and is mirrored in:
– The award we received from the Institute of Sustainable Development for our pioneering contribution in the Agriculture of Cyprus, through the promotion of organic farming and the trade of organic products that contribute to the protection of the environment, as well as to the protection of consumers’ health (2014)
– The fact that we have prepared the gift packages offered during the Cyprus Presidency of the Council of the European Union (2012)
– Our cooperation with the Cyprus Handicraft Service for the creation of traditional gift packages
– The fact that we prepare gifts and souvenirs with 100% organic herbs for seminars and conferences, e.g. for the Cyprus Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the Cyprus Tourism Organisation
– The availability of our products around the island and abroad via our website/e-shop
Our products are not only available in selected shops and in our little stores. The e-shop on our website ensures that people can enjoy them around the world, and that interested customers can look anything up on the web or send us their inquiry before they place their order.
Organic farming is now growing more popular and this means that organic, loose leaf herbs are not always easy to reach. This adds more value to our product and being able to send them all over the world makes us happy.
Offering a gift, souvenir or bomboniere is an expression of gratefulness and special care. We therefore believe that it can be not only beautiful, but also caring. The gifts we make using our 100% organic products contribute to your guests’ wellbeing and are an innovative concept for any event. You can choose from elegant jars filled with jam, lavender, roses or any other herb(s) to pouches and paper boxes or packages, which are decorated according to your preferences, theme and budget. Our bio gifts will keep your guests delighted!
Please note that upon request, we can combine our products with something else in order to create the gift you have envisioned!